How do you have the best possible mindset to go out there and achieve your goals and dreams, make your dreams become a reality? How do you go out there and accomplish what you set forth, make happen what you want to happen? It all starts between the ears, with your mindset.
In Part 1 and 2, we delved deep into your time management, what you want, and identifying what success looks like. You wrote down your vision, your 100 dreams and achievements list, and you came up with your daily method of operation. In Part 3, we’re going to go further into how to get more results from you. That begins by changing the way we think, your mindset.
Some of you are at the top of your game, some of you are on your way to the top of your game; everybody’s at different levels in their business. One thing is for sure, for you to get from where you are right now to where you want to be, you’ve got to change your thinking. It always comes down to changing the way we think at every single level. I know that at every single level I’ve ever been and every level I’m going to go to, I’ve got to change my thinking every single time. The more you can understand that, the more you can embrace change. Change is so important, to be able to change on a dime and always be welcome to it, is key. Be comfortable with change.
In Part 1, you identified your personal philosophy, which begins with the way you think. Your thoughts are what lead to your actions and your actions are what lead to your destiny. We’re always going to challenge the way we think and always stretch our current way of thinking. We talked about the three P’s: personal potential, personal philosophy, and personal power.
In all my years of being an entrepreneur and self-employed (my whole life), and working with entrepreneurs and agents around the country and helping them get to the next level, I’ve realized that every one of us believes and knows we have a better version of us inside of ourselves. That’s what personal power is. If you want to have the best mindset, you’ve got to understand there’s a better version of you inside of you, and everything that you want is on the other side of managing your fear, getting on the other side of fear.
Here’s what I want you to do, I want to challenge every one of you on your mindset. Realize that there is this better version of you inside you. Your goal is to unleash that person, to let that person come out and shine! We’re going to make this next version of you. You 2.0, however, is not just going to come to us, we need to go out there and create You 2.0. You’re going to do the things that you’ve got to do now (no excuses) and make the changes in your life and the changes in the way you think to become the person that you have to become to succeed. It all starts with realizing that there is a better version of you inside yourself.
Let me ask you this question: do you compete to win or do you compete to not lose? How would you answer that question? This is a really good question to ask. This question will help you better understand your why. Why are you competing, why are you setting these goals, and why are you wanting to achieve what it is that you want to achieve? Is it to win or is it to not lose? This comes down to the fundamental mind shift of realizing that scarcity over abundance is abundance over scarcity. Realizing that you never lose, you only win or learn. If you’re the person who says I compete to not lose, I can already tell how you’re going to be in a negotiation. Is it going to be a win-win? Probably not because it comes from a scarcity framework.
You want to embrace abundance. Realize that there is more business out there than you can possible get, that you can go out there and get all that you want, all that you desire. There’s no shortage of money to earn, no shortage of homes to sell, no shortage of books to read, or mentors and coaches, and no shortage to the answers that will get you what you want. It comes down to you. You’ve got to reach deep within yourself and pull You 2.0 out. One thing that I’ve realized in my quest to become Hoss 2.0, or the best version of me at every level, is there’s just some things that are hard to answer. For example, I don’t know why in my early 20’s, I moved to Dallas, to a place where I didn’t know anybody, not a single person. I could not have predicted the impact of the people, opportunities, or even books that would come into my life. It’s hard to explain how some things in my life occurred at precisely the right time.
I’ve learned that in taking action and going for it (your dreams and where you want to be), you’ve got to have a lot of faith. I want you to understand that you don’t know all the answers that you need to know right now, but there’s a thing called definiteness of purpose. Definiteness of purpose is spoken of in one of the best books that I’ve ever read which is Napoleon Hills’ Think and Grow Rich. He talks of definiteness of purpose, taking action towards the thing that you want and when you take that action, what happens is there’s a power behind it, and it’s the definiteness of purpose. Fortune favors the bold. Even though you don’t know the answer now, when you start stepping and taking action, you’ll see the answers come to you. Be comfortable with not knowing all the answers.
Take more action and have faith that you’re on the right path because you have the definiteness of purpose. You’re following your life’s purpose. You’re not questioning why. You’re not asking yourself the things that are going to hold you back. You have faith. Keep steppin’ and here’s what will happen: the right people will come into your life, the right lead source will come into your life, the right team member will come into your life. Be fearless in the pursuit of your dreams and purpose. Don’t second guess yourself. Realize that you can achieve, become and do anything you want to do, achieve and become.
There is a personal power in making the statement that “I Am.” In 2008, I looked in the mirror and said “I am not participating in this recession,” and I believed it. The next two years were the best two years of my life financially. Why, because I owned it. There’s a power when you own I am. Everything that comes after “I am” is true of yourself. What is your inner talk? What does your inner game look like? What do you say to yourself? Are you your biggest fan or your biggest critic? Are you somebody that’s always talking to yourself and getting yourself fired up? One thing that I love to do is wake up in the morning and remind myself what I am.
Pictured above, are some of my affirmations. What are yours? What is your self-talk, what do you tell yourself? Why is that important? Because you’ve got to be your biggest fan and realize that you can become anything but it begins with telling yourself what you want. By making a list of I am statements, this is a part of your homework today. I want you to write a list of “I am” statements. What are those statements that you can own, that you can stake your claim to, that you can remind yourself of everyday? Begin every day affirmations.
Not everybody reminds themselves of who they are, but 1%ers do. I learned that from my mentors. Every one of my mentors taught me the power of affirmations. I remember at different points of my life I thought they were silly. I remember at the beginning when I began my journey of personal development, I thought this “I am” stuff doesn’t make much sense. I also thought the same about journaling. I never really understood why I have to write all these things down. Because there’s magic in it. There’s magic whenever you stake the claim, when you put the ink to the paper. There’s power behind it that we can’t explain. It’s like tithing, you can’t explain how it works but it’s the best thing you can possibly do for your financial destiny.
What we want to do in mindset is own these things and we’ve got to become so good at it, because personal growth is the bedrock and the framework of everything that we’re going to achieve. Realizing that we want to build lasting success, we want success that’s not going to last just a month or 60 days, I’m talking 6 years, a decade, a lifetime. It begins with knowing how to succeed and it starts with having personal growth.
Like a Bamboo Tree
I love the story of the bamboo tree and its roots. You plant the bamboo tree and you don’t see the tree for a very long time. Why? Because it’s growing. You don’t realize that the whole time that the bamboo tree is growing roots and it’s growing, it just doesn’t come to the surface. It’s growing these roots deep, long and far, and all of a sudden when you see the bamboo tree pop through the soil, boom just like a rocket, that thing shoots up and it reaches up to the sky and continues to grow until it’s out of sight. Why? Because the roots of the bamboo tree have already been established; the roots are longer than the bamboo tree itself. That’s what personal growth is like; that’s what long-lasting success looks like.
We want to establish our roots to where you can take this thing away from me and I don’t care because I possess the skills, knowledge, resources and ability to get it all back. Why? Because my success is dependent upon my roots; my bedrock. That’s why it’s so important in personal growth to focus on becoming better and growing those roots. I love this quote by Jim Rohn, “Income seldom exceeds your own personal development.” How true is that?
One thing that I’ve learned in coaching so many agents and also running multiple businesses is that you don’t know what you don’t know. You may think you do, but you don’t know what you don’t know.
4 Levels of Learning
There are 4 levels of learning and every one of us, in everything that we encounter and endeavor we’ve got to realize that these are the four levels:
- You Don’t Know – You don’t know what you don’t know so be open. Keep an open mind because really, you don’t know all the answers. There’s a different way to think, a better way to think. There’s a thing that you don’t know that would help you in so many different ways. Don’t build a know-it-all wall and shut yourself off from receiving. The finding is reserved for the seekers.
- You Know – Once you seek, you’re looking for the book, the webinar, the coach, the seminar, the idea, the strategy. You’re seeking, seeking, seeking, and once you find it, which you will, you then know it. You became aware which is the second level of learning. You can’t just go around and be aware of a bunch of stuff because that doesn’t do you any good. You have to put into practice what you know. That’s where the rubber hits the road.
- You Experience What You Know – Once you’ve experienced what you know, you can hone your experiences into a skill. For example, you can sit here and read scripts, practice your scripts alone or with a colleague, know them inside and out, but is that the same as having that skill in the real world? In the marketplace, you’re getting hung up on. You’ve got different personalities, different challenges, different markets and different seasons. Your experience, not just your knowledge, will turn your practice into a skill to the point where you don’t even have to think about it- the scripts will just roll right off your tongue. Experience what you know more than your competitors. Experience more than you know right now. Experience what you know to such a level that it challenges you, pushes you outside your comfort zone. Why is that important? Because the skill is where the reward is on the other side of that experience. The 10,000-hour rule, the 5,500 one-on-one coaching hours, the 200,000 prospecting calls, the experience of what you know is what you’re looking for. Most people are out looking for a different result, thinking that a book or new knowledge is going to solve the problem, when really the only thing that will truly make a difference is the person in the mirror.
- You Build Skills – Let’s go to work on you to such a degree that we build skills. Your skills are the roots of the bamboo tree, it’s what you’re actively building. Here’s why this is so important because skills are what fill in the success gap, from where you are right now to where you want to be. You’re at $10M in production and you want to be at $30M. You’re at $2M in production and you want to be at $10M, you’re at $10M and you want to be at $100M. You’re taking 5 listings a month but you want to be at 30 listings a month. This is the success gap. The success gap exists at every level and building skills is how you fill in that gap. Personal growth is how you fill in that gap.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Hoss Pratt is an in-demand keynote presenter and trainer at all the major real estate conventions and live events in the U.S., where he shares the stage with other nationally recognized industry superstars. Hoss was recently nominated for “Real Estate Marketer of the Year” for Listing Boss, the definitive and most powerful lead generation and conversion system. Listing Boss boasts over 2,000 members nationwide.
The latest from Hoss, Presentation Boss, positions real estate agents to succeed in the new digital era of real estate. Are you prepared to dominate your market? For a free one-on-one Strategy Session, please click here.
My company, Hoss Pratt International ®, is the premier resource for agents and firms that want to take their business to the next level.
- Hoss Pratt Success Systems ® : Renowned real estate coaching and training firm that helps clients boost business by an astonishing 93% within the first six months of coaching.
- Boss Nation Productions ® : Premier publishing company that produces innovative, industry-leading training products.
- Listing Boss ® : The step-by-step lead conversion system that enables real estate agents to dominate their market in 90 days or less.
Experience the power of effective coaching, see results and live your dreams. I encourage you to visit my website at hosspratt.com and invite you to schedule a free strategy session with me today.